Looking for Registered Childcare?

A registered childminder works in their own home providing care and education for small groups of children. Because they care for children under 8, they must be registered. This means they are:

Registered childminders must have an enhanced Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) disclosure – the most stringent check available, and which includes a police check. Any other adults who live with them must have a CRB check, too. Childminders are also health-checked to make sure they can keep up with the busy lives of young children.

Before caring for children, childminders have to show a childcare inspector that they meet national standards for childminding. They also have to show that they make sure their house is safe for children. And, after their first inspection, they continue to receive regular inspection visits.

All registered childminders take an introductory training course. Ask your local childminders what it involved, and the training they have done since then.

First-aid qualified
Registered childminders must hold a current first-aid certificate, having taken a course on first aid suitable for babies and young children.

They also carry insurance so that, if your child has an accident or they damage someone else’s property, the incident is covered. If they have a car, it will also be insured for use with their childminding business.
Follow Nessa's Childcare on Twitter  Facebook